Tuesday, April 15, 2008

the DU: a daily oddity

the daily universe is byu's newspaper. while often the front page articles are lame and the macey's ads get thrown every which way on tuesdays, my favorite part of the du (and in my opinion, its justification for funding) are the letters to the editors. below are a few of my favorites:

"campus deer problem"
"i am a deer" (in response to the campus deer problem)
"flying saurkraut"
"where's the joy?" (one of my all time favorites)
which was preceeded (!) by another, "unhappy happy valley."
and which was responded to by about a hundred letters, including "stop the fake smiles"
an editor's justification for not smiling at everyone
and an editor's response to these incredibly funny letters in 2005.

and, of course, we have police beat.

2006 compilation of the best: i have do admit these are not all the "best," but there are some pretty funny ones (the bike rack is my favorite).
and quite possibly my favorite police beat entry about a roommate's butter knife being stolen (theft: march 26).

since the du is definitely not a rarity, i would have to call these parts of the du an oddity.

definitely.

No comments: