Friday, October 22, 2010

Wow

Wow. That is really all I can say about today. BYU campus was both a rarity and an oddity.

First, I walked out of my class at noon when I heard cheers and shouts coming from the middle of the quad (see the two x's on the map in the center? The quad is the white x surrounded by grass in the middle of the map). I looked over and saw a wedding. No joke. In the middle of BYU campus. I don't know if it was the wedding or reception or just a joke. but the bride was wearing a dress, a veil, and even had a bouquet, and all the men were wearing tuxes. They had a photographer and someone with a high-tech video camera, and they even took jumping pictures--after cutting the cake. It was seriously the oddest thing I have seen here in a very long time. (Unfortunately I was too chicken to ask someone what they were doing--I will keep you posted in case the story comes out in the DU.)


(Sorry about the pictures--I had to take them with my phone and then take a picture of my phone screen.)

And then, I was walking towards the Wilk, and Brigham Square (just south-east of the quad) was filled with empty desks. 30, I think. There was a portable whiteboard in front that said "In low-income communities, only 1 in 10 students will graduate from college," and a graduation hat was on 3 of the seats.




Wow. Talk about effective marketing. It was for Teach for America, who has lately been rather aggressive with their recruiting strategies. (I even get text messages from them.)

And then it was "what was the last song you listened to" day at Taco Bell. Any surprise that I had actually just listened to Amazing Grace?

Wow. When I walked into the library and all but the emergency lights were off because they were fixing the system, I didn't even think it was weird after what I had just seen.

5 comments:

Chicken Dust said...

Nothing cool like that ever happens when I bother to show up on campus. Lame...

Yuyu- 陳又瑜 said...

Hey Breanne!
So happy to hear from you, just wondering which blog I should leave a message to you. So far so good? Taiwan just hit by a terrible typhoon, some counties like 宜蘭 花蓮are really in bad situation.

Take care! A big hug from Taiwan.

breanne said...

Well, Chicken Dust, if you were on campus for as many hours a day and as many days a week as I am, maybe cool things would happen to you too. :) My campus life is awesome because my "other" life is non-existent...

Kaitlyn said...

Crazy! Love the stories. I hope you hear more about the wedding...I am very intrigued.

Teganomen said...

Ah, someone was telling me about the wedding! A friend of a friend or something was putting it on...it was a stunt. I'm sad I missed it. That and the desks. Hooray for creativity.

--Carrie